“Don’t risk your life by taking a barbeque into your home or tent”

Posted on August 23rd, 2012

Valerie is raising awareness among residents of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning from barbecues following a number of recent tragic cases in which people have lost their lives.

Valerie said:

“Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and greater awareness of the dangers can help save many lives. There have been a number of tragic cases recently in which people have lost their lives as a result of using barbeques inside for heating purposes.”

“I want to remind people that barbeques are designed solely for outdoor use and should not be used in enclosed spaces such as tents, caravans, campervans or homes. Carbon monoxide gases can rise to fatal levels within minutes if portable or disposable barbecues are used inside for heating purposes. Carbon monoxide is difficult to detect because it is colourless and has no taste or smell. People often don’t realise that they are being overcome by fumes until it is too late.”

“I am pleased to join with Carbon Monoxide Awareness to support this campaign to ensure there is greater awareness in Walsall South and across the country.”

For more information on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, please visit: http://www.covictim.org