- Posted by: Valerie Vaz MP
- Category: News
I was delighted to meet Professor Richard Layard who was launching the Well Being Manifesto which sets out to include:
1. Measurement: All Governments, employers and schools should be measuring the wellbeing of those they affect at least once a year.
2. Government: The Goal of Government should be to sustainably increase the wellbeing of citizens choosing those policies which are most cost-effective in terms of wellbeing.
3. Business: The purpose of business should be to sustainably improve the wellbeing of their employees, customers, suppliers as well as shareholders.
4. Schools: The main aim of educators should be to enhance the present and future wellbeing of their pupils using evidence to achieve this.
5. Individuals: We should all be trying to create the most wellbeing in the world and the least misery.
I encourage all my constituents to sign the Manifesto at worldwellbeingmovement.org/manifesto
Wellbeing rankings: The rankings in columns with the Walsall figures are:
Things done in life are worthwhile: 7.7
And the Wellbeing ranking for Walsall comes in the bottom third of all local authorities.
Professor Layard has had a longstanding interest and has promoted wellbeing as an important factor of GDP.