- Posted by: Valerie Vaz MP
- Category: Local News, News
On Friday 22 November 2013, Valerie visited Salisbury Primary School in Darlaston as part of Parliament Week.
“Parliament Week is a wonderful initiative to enable people across the UK to understand Parliament and democracy. This year the focuses is on Women in Democracy, celebrating women’s contribution to UK democratic life and exploring how women’s voices can be heard.”
“The children of Year 6 at Salisbury Primary School were very engaged in the discussion. During my visit I set the children a political quiz and I was impressed with how well they did.”
“I would encourage parents to try the quiz with their children and to look up the answers.”
1. What is the name of the Prime Minister and where does he live.
2. Who is the Leader of the Opposition and what is the name of his constituency.
3. What is the name of the Green Party MP
4. How many MPs are there in the House of Commons and how many are women.
5. Who Chairs the debates and keeps MPs under control.
6. What is his phrase for keeping MPs under control.
7. What is the name of the Clock Tower at the Houses of Parliament.
8. Who is prohibited from entering the House of Commons.
9. There is a statue of a man on a horse outside parliament who is it?
10. Which monarch was put on trial and sentenced to death in Westminster Hall and in which year.
Scroll down for the answers.
1. David Cameron MP and he lives at No 10 Downing Street.
2. Ed Miliband MP, Doncaster North.
3. Caroline Lucas
4. 650 in total 503 male MPs and 147 female MPs
5. The Speaker; Rt Hon John Bercow MP
6. “Order, Order.”
7. Elizabeth Tower – the Bell that strikes the hour is Big Ben.
8. The Monarch.
9. Oliver Cromwell
10. King Charles 1 in 1649.