- Posted by: Valerie Vaz MP
- Category: News
Valerie was voted onto the House of Commons Governance Select Committee. The Committee was set up after the Speaker’s announcement to pause the process of appointing a new Clerk of the House and Chief Executive, following the retirement of the former Clerk Sir Robert Rogers in July 2014.
The Committee is to consider the governance of the House of Commons including the future allocation of the responsibilities for House services currently exercised by the Clerk of the House and Chief Executive. The Clerk of the House is the principal constitutional adviser to the Commons, and adviser on all its procedure and business.
The Committee will also consider:
• The role of the House of Commons Commission and its relations with other committees of Members of Parliament and the House’s Management Board;
• How to combine effective decision making with transparent accountability;
• How to ensure that governance in the House of Commons matches best practice in the rest of the public sector;
• How to develop the skills the House needs from its most senior staff;
• What preparations the House needs to make now to be ready for the challenges of the future, particularly restoration and renewal of the Palace of Westminster.
The Committee will be hearing evidence from a range of people and will be publishing a report in December 2014.
Jack Straw is the Chair of the Committee, and the other members are Sir Oliver Heald, David Heath, Jesse Norman, Ian Paisley, Jacob Rees-Mogg and David Watts.
On Tuesday 21 November 2014 the Committee heard evidence from Lord Browne of Madingley, Government Lead Non-Executive Board Member, Sir Amyas Morse, Comptroller and Auditor General, and Rt Hon Peter Riddell, Director, Institute for Government.
The oral evidence for this session is available here: http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/house-of-commons-governance-committee/house-of-commons-governance/oral/14613.pdf
On Thursday 23 October 2014 the committee heard evidence from Rt Hon Sir Alan Haselhurst MP, Chair, Administration Committee, Rt Hon John Thurso MP, Chair, Finance and Services Committee, and Rt Hon Sir Alan Beith MP, Chair, Liaison Committee.
The oral evidence for this session is available here: http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/house-of-commons-governance-committee/house-of-commons-governance/oral/14738.pdf
On Tuesday 28 October 2014 the Committee held a meeting with Mr Speaker.
On Thursday 30 October 2014 the Committee held a meeting with the Deputy Speakers.
More information on the House of Commons Governance Committee can be found here: http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/house-of-commons-governance-committee/